[Latingp] Underlining

Bill Jouris bill.jouris at insidethestack.com
Thu Sep 5 15:51:13 UTC 2019

Hi Michael,
If we just had one of two cases where we had decided Variant, and a half dozen where we had decided Not a Variant, I might agree.  But the substantial bulk of our decisions were for Variant. So that seems like the way to go.
P.S. Good choice on not talking while driving.  People who are on the phone while driving, even with a hands-free phone, scare me.
Bill Jouris
Inside Products
bill.jouris at insidethestack.com
831-659-8360
925-855-9512 (direct)

    On Thursday, September 5, 2019, 05:50:41 AM PDT, Michael Bauland <Michael.Bauland at knipp.de> wrote:

 Hi Bill,

On 04.09.2019 23:42, Bill Jouris wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> As requested, I have updated the Proposal (Section 6.7.1) with our
> decisions for Variants Due To Underlining.

thanks for your work.

> I would like to note one small inconsistency in our results.  Basic
> letters are considered variants of the same letter with a cedilla for
> letters K, L, N, S, and T.  But *not* for letters C, M, and O.  It seems
> to me that we really ought to be consistent in this.  (As we are for Dot
> Below, Macron Below, Circumflex Below, Ogonek, etc.)

Good catch. I agree that we should try to be consistent. And in case
there is a good reason that requires us to be "inconsistent" we at least
have to argue and comment why we handle those seemingly equivalent cases
differently.

As mentioned last week, I will be in a car driving to a customer during
our call and I don't like driving and using the phone (even with a
hands-free kit) at the same time. So I won't be able to join. Therefore
my vote (in case you need it in this call) for this case:
Looking at our original documents my opinion is to not considering base
characters and characters with cedilla below as variants.

Talk to you next week,

Michael

    |      |
    | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                    Technologiepark
                                Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                44227 Dortmund
                                Germany

    Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
                                Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
    Dr. Michael Bauland        SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
    Software Development        E-mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                Register Court: