[GSE Middle East] An apology

Walid AL-SAQAF walid at al-saqaf.se
Sun Nov 17 08:58:57 UTC 2019

Dear MEAC-SWG,

I wish to express to all of you my sincere apologies to you for not being
active in the MEAC-SWG work lately and missing the scheduled calls despite
my position as Chair.

The last few months have been extremely busy and sensitive with what has
been going on with PIR and ISOC. The situation remains sensitive with my
involvement in ICANN in any leadership capacity conflicting with my role as
an ISOC trustee.

Since my position as MEAC-SWG is almost over (in fact it was supposed to be
over months ago but we extended it for a year), I was largely inactive as
the Chair due to several factors invluding the above.

Yet, ICANN's Staff has managed and is continuing to manage the transition
to the new MEAC-SWG effectively without my direct involvement. I do email
Fahd once in a while but it is mostly regrets for not being able to
participate.

I take this opportunity to thank all those who threw their hat in to serve
as the next Chair and Vice Chair. They are all great and hard working
people whom I wish all the best. Whoever will take over, MEAC-SWG will be
in good hands.

I'll still remain a member but more as an observer until the ongoing PIR
ownership transition is complete.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and all the best in this important
transition phase. At the end of the transition, I will gladly provide the
new Chair with any support needed.

Apologies once more and all the best.

Sincerely yours,

Walid Al-Saqaf