[ME ICANN] Montreal ME Space statement first draft for your comment

Nadira Alaraj nadira.araj at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 09:07:05 UTC 2019

Dear MEAC community,
For your ease of access to the ME Draft statement I'm copying and pasting
it in this email hoping to hear some feedback from you.

Middle East Space

ICANN 66 in Montreal, Canada

Draft Statement

About the Next Steps to Improve the Effectiveness of ICANN’s MSM

We, the Middle East (ME) community members participating in the Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers ICANN 66 Public Meetings
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.google.com/url?q%3Dhttps://meetings.icann.org/en/montreal66%26amp;sa%3DD%26amp;ust%3D1570183286039000&sa=D&ust=1570183286049000&usg=AFQjCNERXZr6_sXMqRPkW9IL3VsfHIdt1g>
in
Montreal, Canada, and attending the Middle East Space session on November 2019,
commented on the document put forward by ICANN in relation to “ The Next
Steps to improve the effectiveness of ICANN’s Multi-Stakeholder Model
(MSM)” to develop a work plan for evolving ICANN’s MSM. The ME community
and in consultation with the wider ME community supports the work
undertaken by the MSM evolvement team to develop a work plan to tackle the
issues previously identified by the ICANN community as hindering the
effective functionality of the model and we take this opportunity to
contribute to these efforts with the comments found herein. In developing
our comments we considered the identified issues, the stakeholder groups
that could be responsible for solving the issue and whenever possible the
timing and resources required to address the issue.

Issue 1 – Prioritization of Work

ICANN’s planning process addresses the prioritization of work in terms of
“go/no go” based on the needs of the five year strategic plan and the
associated goals that ICANN is looking forward to achieve. A more detailed
prioritization, that breaks down the initial priorities and deals with the
tasks and activities carried out by the community to achieve the identified
goals is required. Prioritizing ICANN's community activities, as an example
whether they go in parallel or subsequently and elaborating on the benefits
of each will allow for a better allocation of resources and budgeting and
could help address the issue of volunteers burnout. A committee
representing all stakeholder groups with balanced regional and sub regional
representation could be seen responsible for this task, as one group may
point out a necessity and priority not seen by others, in addition ICANN org
 contribution to this could be of benefit  and we see it as part of the MSM
work plan.

Issue 2 – Precision in Scoping Work

In relation to ICANN’s precision in scoping work, input from regional
community strategy working groups like the MEAC SWG is essential and we
note that the strategy working groups align their work with ICANN’s
five-year strategic plan.  Having a process that ensures that the needs of
the community are taken into consideration is essential. However, we see
this carried by ICANN global stakeholder engagement team and therefore not
necessary part of the MSM work plan. In relation to the precision in
scoping the work of the different working groups a guideline to all
stakeholders encouraging them to be as specific as possible when writing
the scope of their work and putting guidance in relation to change requests
could be helpful specifically in avoiding scope creep.

Issue 3 – Efficient Use of Resources and Costs

While we regard this item as being potentially addressed by the mentioned
solutions we note that proper prioritization of the work is a crucial
element to the efficient use of the resources, especially in relation to
the volunteers. The number of volunteers from the ME is currently limited
and therefore we note as well the importance of the financial resources
allocated to the region, which is necessary to capacity building and
raising awareness required for more active and capable participants from
the region.

Issue 4 – Roles and Responsibilities and a Holistic view of ICANN

There is a need to review how the three basic elements of ICANN’s MSM, the
board, the organization and the community work together within their
defined roles and responsibilities to achieve ICANN goals effectively and
efficiently. We do not see this element currently addressed through the
proposed solutions and therefore we regard it as an essential element of
the MSM work plan.

Issue 5 – Representation, Inclusivity, Recruitment and Demographics

The existing solutions address the issue. However, due to the importance of
the issue as it addresses one of the main three elements of the MSM which
is the community we would suggest that after the proposed work is complete,
an evaluation is done that measures the aggregate effect of all the ongoing
efforts in this regard.

Issue 6 – Culture + Trust + Silos

The ME community recognizes trust as an issue that could hinder cooperation
and working together culture. Trust-building is a dynamic process and the
proposed existing solutions like global stakeholder engagement, ICANN
fellowship, ICANN fellowship mentor, next gen and next gen ambassadors all
contribute in this regard. However, Individual experiences and actions can
at any point serve as a turning point in developing trust affecting one of
ICANN’s MSM core elements. We therefore see that developing-trust should be
on the MSM work plan.

Issue 7 – Complexity

Addressing the issue of complexity is crucial to the development of work
within the ICANN community, ensuring diversity and inclusivity. Though
existing activities like MEAC-SIG and ME GNSO training contribute to the
solution more planned workshops and capacity building is essential for wide
informed participation. To that end we believe the issue of complexity
should be part of the MSM work plan in order to be addressed at the
strategic level.

Issue 8 – Consensus

The work developed by GNSO PDP 3.0 implementation plan could successfully
tackle this issue. However, we cannot comment on a final solution we
haven’t seen yet. We note that activities like the ME DNS forums provide a
good platform for the community to interact, exchange information and agree
on many of the discussed issues.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/166dt6mzneVwT2yB2P7XN-_Ol3uMo-o3kYaaE4t6Fkpg/edit?usp=drivesdk