[ME ICANN] FW: [WebDebate] The UN beyond the West: How do countries from the Global South make their mark?

Fahd Batayneh fahd.batayneh at icann.org
Sat Feb 29 07:01:39 UTC 2020

The below webinar by the Geneva Internet Platform (GIP) might be of interest to some. It takes place on Tuesday 3 March at 12.00 UTC.

Fahd

From: DiploFoundation <diplo at diplomacy.edu>
Date: Monday, February 24, 2020 at 1:59 PM
To: Fahd Batayneh <fahd.batayneh at icann.org>
Subject: [Ext] [WebDebate] The UN beyond the West: How do countries from the Global South make their mark?

Is this email not displaying correctly?   View this email in your browser
[diplomacy.us5.list-manage.com]

[WebDebate] The UN beyond the West: How do countries from the Global South make their mark?

Dear Colleagues,

We invite you to join us on Tuesday, 3rd March, at 12:00 UTC (13:00 CET) for our next WebDebate, when we will focus on the impact that countries from the Global South have had on the United Nations.

As 2020 marks the 75th anniversary of the United Nations, we continue our theme of exploring key topics related to the past, present, and future of the organisation.

Since the inception of the UN, membership of the organisation has grown steadily. In particular, the membership of states from the Global South has impacted the structure and functioning of the organisation.

In this WebDebate we explore specific diplomatic approaches led by countries from the Global South, shifts within the UN system, calls for UN reform, and the impact that countries from the Global South have had on the organisation.

  Register for the event

Our Speakers

Amb. Asoke Mukerji’s diplomatic career spans 37 years, from 1978-2015. As India’s ambassador and permanent representative to the UN in New York (2013-2015), he oversaw India’s negotiations on the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development, focusing on prioritising the use of technology for achieving the sustainable development goals (SDGs).

Dr Eugenio Vargas Garcia is senior adviser on Peace and Security at the Office of the President of the 74th Session of the UN General Assembly. He leads on matters pertaining to the 4th Committee, the Security Council, peacekeeping, cybersecurity, and as GRULAC liaison.

About our WebDebates

The WebDebates on the future of diplomacy are live streamed on the first Tuesday of every month. They are organised by Diplo within the framework of the International Forum on Diplomatic Training (IFDT).

Diplo's WebDebates Team