[Neobrahmigp] Regarding participation in ICANN Root LGR process - Neo Brahmi Panel

Dr. G. S. Lehal (ਗੁਰਪ੍ਰੀਤ ਸਿੰਘ ਲਹਿਲ) gslehal at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 17:42:42 UTC 2014

Thanks for your invitation to participate in "*Procedure to Develop and
Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA
Labels*".
I would like to participate for Gurmukhi script. Please find attached my
expression of interest and brief profile.

Thanks.

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Neha Gupta <nehag at cdac.in> wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>

> I am writing this mail to you in my personal capacity in view of your deep
> involvement in Indian languages and the passion you have shown for them.
>

> As you are aware, ".bharat" in Indian Languages is now a reality and you
> will soon be able to have your ccTLD(.IN) in Punjabi(Panjabi) Language.
> Under the aegis of DeitY, Ministry of Communications & Information
> Technology, C-DAC along with NIXI has been playing a pioneering role in the
> process. Earlier you could have your URL only in the Latin Script, but the
> authority for Internationalized Domain Names: ICANN has opened up URL's in
> 6 writing systems of which Languages using Brahmi Scripts constitute an
> element.
>

> ICANN has also opened up the process of allotting top level domains
> e.g.com, .net in different languages/scripts. This process has gone
> through serious deliberation and one of the major resolutions has been to
> identify a set of rules and permissible set of code points for various
> scripts/language families of the world through related experts in the area
> of Language, Culture, Community expertise, Unicode and DNS in relation to
> each script/Language.
>
> To identify such resource persons who would assist ICANN in a purely
> voluntary capacity, ICANN has issued a call for participating in the "*Procedure
> to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for the Root Zone in
> Respect of IDNA Labels*"
>

> *Link*:
> https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/draft-lgr-procedure-20mar13-en.pdf
>
> *Link to the details of the procedure*:
>

> http://www.icann.org/en/resources/idn/variant-tlds/draft-lgr-procedure-20mar13-en.pdf
>

> The Root zone is the nodal point of the whole internet infrastructure and
> the policies & procedures thus formed for the root zone eventually
> percolate to various lower levels. Since this procedure is being undertaken
> at the "root zone" it is essential that we ensure that the Indian languages
> are well-represented and taken into account, by way of participation.
>

> Under this procedure, panels will be constituted for various scripts/
> language families. These panels, called as Generation panels have the
> following role:
>
> -  to establish the repertoire of a permissible set of code points for the
> root zone for the given script/language family
>
> -  to prepare a set of rules, if any, which are applicable for the
> formation of the labels using that set of  code points
>
> -  In short provide expertise for a given language/script. Insofar, as per
> the applications received by ICANN in the "New gTLD" programme, the
> following Indian scripts have been identified to be taken up on priority at
> present:
>

> Devanagari, Tamil, Telugu, Gurmukhi, Gujarati and Bengali, ICANN requires
> expertise in the following areas:
>
>                 1.    Community Representative: Articulates a set of
> [...]

Gurpreet Singh Lehal, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Computer Science
Dean, Faculty of Physical Sciences
Director, Advanced Centre for Technical Development of Punjabi Language,
Literature and Culture,
Punjabi University, Patiala.
India-147002

Phone : +91-9815473767 (M)