[Neobrahmigp] [lgr] RootLGR questions

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 13 22:18:40 UTC 2014

On 11/11/2014 1:16 PM, Yoshiro YONEYA wrote:
> Asmus-san,
>
>> Just out of interest, can you give me an example of a label
>> where jpan+latn needs to be mixed?
> Followings are existing Japanese JP domain names including Alphabets.
>
>    JR東日本.jp
>    日本IBM.jp
>    株式会社NTTドコモ.jp
>
> Some companies are using such mixed script name.  I'm not sure if
> they want to register such name on TLD, but I don't have reason
> to prohibit it.
>
> I'll reply to your answer to my 2nd question separately.
>
> Regards,

    Yoneya-san,

    The text in B.3.2 of the Procedure anticipates only two cases where
    script-mixing is allowed. They are: a) mixing of Common/Inherited
    with certain scripts, and b) the mixture of East Asian scripts such as t
    the Hiragana+Katakana+Kanji trio for "und-Jpan". Beyond that,
    including the common "usage" of mixing ASCII in various cultures,
    no mixing is anticipated. This describes the default position.

   The Integration Panel is aware of the Japanese practices using
   Romaji, but is not taking an action towards making an exception for
   this. The bar for the IP panel to make any exception to the status quo
   on script mixing suggested in the procedure would be very high.

   The absence of such an exception does make the root more restrictive
   than second level domains; it also affects other cultures' more
   occasional use of ASCII letters. However, the restriction of not
   allowing digits in the roots affects some writing systems already more
   severely than the absence of ASCII mixing (disallowing plurals, for
   example). Overall, this restrictiveness is built firmly into the
   suggested course of action by the Procedure and and in turn aligned
with the
   provision in RFC 6912 that zones higher in the DNS tree tend to have
   more restrictive rules.

   That is the best I can do at this point to give you more background
   on my short reply during the ICANN51 meeting.

   Perhaps you get further understanding of this by discussing it with
   Marc Blanchet, who, I believe is at the same IETF meeting with you.

   Cheers,

   A./