[Neobrahmigp] Re : Neo-Brahmi GP online meeting - UTC 12:30pm - Tuesday 18 April

Bal Krishna Bal bkbal at ltk.org.np
Tue Apr 18 09:52:56 UTC 2017

OK, thanks for the clarification Dr. Sarmad. I will try to attend today's
meeting. Just in case, for some technical reasons or other, I would not be
able to join, could you note the following addition in blue text that I
have for Section 3 - Background on Script and Principal Languages Using It
from the recent document on the LGR Proposal for Devanagari that was
circulated recently:

The script called Nāgarī or Devanāgarī is written from left to right.
Historically it derives from the Brāhmī alphabet of the Ashokan
inscriptions. Devanāgarī is currently used for 11 out of 22 official
languages of India (Boro/Bodo, Dogri, Hindi, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili,
Marathi, Nepali, Sanskrit, Santhali and Sindhi), mainstream Nepali, which
is the official language in Nepal and around 45 other languages especially
the related Indo-Aryan languages: Bagheli, Bhili, Bhojpuri, Himachali
dialects, Magahi, Newari and Rajasthani and its dialects: Marwari, Mewati,
Shekhawati, Bagri, Dhundhari, Harauti and Wagri. Closely associated with
Sanskrit and Prakrit, it is an alternative script for Kashmiri (by Hindu
speakers), Sindhi and Santhali. It is growing popular in use by speakers of
tribal languages of Arunachal Pradesh, Bihar and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
The script is also used in Fiji to represent Fiji Hindi. Hindi is also used
in Mauritius, Malaysia, England, Canada, South Africa, Indonesia as well as
emigrant communities around the world.

Devanāgarī is used by over 120 languages both in India and in
South-east-Asia.

Without the addition, it overlooks the fact about the mainstream Nepali
used by approximately 30 million people in Nepal, which is the official
language of Nepal and also uses Devanagari script.

Regards,

Bal Krishna