[Neobrahmigp] Summary of work to be done by NBGP

Sarmad Hussain sarmad.hussain at icann.org
Fri Apr 28 11:17:00 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Following the discussion during the call today, here is a summary of the work which needs to be accomplished by NBGP:

For each of the nine scripts being worked on by NBGP, the work has at least the following five steps which can be done in sequence or (some parts) in parallel.  The following steps are only an attempt to explain the Procedure<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/draft-lgr-procedure-20mar13-en.pdf>, where the latter remains the overriding reference point for this work.  Additional Guidelines<https://community.icann.org/display/croscomlgrprocedure/Document+Repository?preview=/43989034/54001768/Guidelines%20for%20LGR.pdf> are also available.

i.                 Determine the languages in scope of the analysis for the script; A script may be used by many languages.  However, for the Root Zone, not all languages may be included.  For example, Language status EGIDS scale<https://www.ethnologue.com/about/language-status> may be used to include all languages between level 0-4, exclude those 6-above, and analyse level 5 languages on case to case basis for inclusion (level 5 excluded by default).

a.      List the languages considered, shortlisted and excluded in the LGR proposal

ii.                Short-list the relevant code point repertoire for the script; In the MSR<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/msr-2015-06-21-en> (PDF<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/msr-2-non-cjk-13apr15-en.pdf> (yellow highlighted); XML<https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/msr-2-wle-rules-13apr15-en.xml>), many candidate code points are listed but not all may be relevant. For the Root Zone LGR, per RFC 6912, NBGP needs to undertake an inclusion based analysis – meaning, that start with no code points included and then for each language selected in step i. above, select the relevant code points which must be included.  This involves at least two steps:

a.      Finalize the principles to decided which code points must be included

b.      Based on the principles, finalize the short-list of code points included for the script.  Please note that this includes documenting reference for each code point included based on the relevant language selected.

iii.               Define the variant code points and their types for the script; Variant code points need to be defined for each script.  Though variant analysis is different from the similarity analysis, the two may overlap.  For example, homoglyphs may be treated as variants.  The analysis at least has three steps:

a.      Discuss and document how to define variants in the different scripts being analyzed.  Examples from other script communities who have finished their work could be considered as a starting point.  However, eventually a set of principles needs to be derived which addresses the specific needs of the relevant script community being considered by the NBGP.

b.      Based on the principles in a. above, determine the variant code points within a script;  Once the variants are defined, determine whether these should be “blocked” or “allocatable”.  By default “blocked” variants are preferred.  However, where it is needed, “allocatable” variants may be considered, but these must be kept minimal.

c.      Based on these principles, also determine any variant code points across different scripts within the scope of NBGP, called cross-script variant code points.  Cross-script variant code points should generally be “blocked”.

iv.               Articulate the Whole Label Evaluation (WLE) rules; Based on experience gained from other GPs, it is clear that such rules vary in their level of detail and, therefore, complexity.  So NBGP needs to strike the right level of balance, as simplicity is one of the recommended principles<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6912>. This has normally been an iterative process with other GPs and same would be expected for NBGP.  What is clearer now is that these rules should remain at script level and should not enforce spellings of languages – to ensure that innovation remains part of the label generation process, e.g. “flickr” in flickr.com does not conform to spelling rules.

v.                Finalize and publish the LGR proposal; Once the analysis has been completed, it needs to be documented and also encoded in the LGR XML format (RFC 7940<https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc7940.txt>) and tested (using test labels from different languages using the script).  Document LGR in three files for each of the nine scripts (scripts 1-9):

a.      NBGP-script-n.pdf

b.      NBGP-script-n.xml

c.      NBGP-script-n-testLabels.txt

We would encourage you to see the proposals completed by other GPs<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/lgr-proposals-2015-12-01-en> as samples for the work to be done by NBGP.  NBGP should eventually produce nine LGRs, one for each script.

We would also request you to review the documents proposed (see the links above).

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Regards,
Sarmad