[Neobrahmigp] Proposal/Request from Bangladesh to work on Bangla Script for Root Zone Label Generation Rule Set

Brig. Gen. Md Mustafa Kamal dgeo at btrc.gov.bd
Tue Aug 14 17:35:40 UTC 2018

Dear Concern,

Please be informed that Bangladesh Government is very keen regarding label generation rule set for Bangla Script., we have already started working with 'Root Zone LGR document for Bangla Script' involving language and technology experts from Bangladesh, West-Bengal, Assam and Manipur.

 I want to draw your attention that, BANGLA is the state, official and most widely spoken language of Bangladesh. Around 160 million people of Bangladesh speak. To be precise, Bangla language is an important element of the identity of the people of Bangladesh. You must have heard about the Bangla Language Movement of 21 February 1952 where many Bangladeshi students sacrificed their lives to restore BANGLA as state language. Since then 21 February is celebrated  as Mother Language Day in Bangladesh. Subsequently, in 1999, in recognition of the language movement in the then East Pakistan (present Bangladesh) UNESCO recognized 21 February as International Mother Language Day. As per our knowledge, BANGLA is the only language for which people had to sacrifice lives. Currently, we are managing the .????? IDN ccTLD (delegated from ICANN to Bangladesh) and conducting every official activity entirely in Bangla.

In this context, we feel that a proper documentation of 'Bangla script LGR' is of immense importance as this would impact the entire Bangla Community (most of them living in Bangladesh). Though late, we are proud to be an active part in the process. I am assuring you that, our selected group of people from Bangladesh and Bangla language community have ultimate dedication, deep experience, utmost interest in the Bangla script, Bangla writing system and Bangla language together with relevant adequate understanding to the technology.

I want to reiterate that, historically, Bangladesh government and its people are very sensitive to Bangla language and any development associated with it. Honorable Minister of Post, Telecommunication and Information Technology, himself has shown his profound interest in the topic. We believe, ICANNs commendable initiative to accommodate Bangla in the root zone and subsequently in the second level and throughout the internet ensuring stability and security of the entire internet system will not be complete without active participation of Bangla community specially Bangladesh.

Therefore, we seek your highest support for developing the final proposal for the'Bangla script Root zone label generation ruleset'. We are posting our passionate request to consider the relevance, interest and devotion for the language- Bangla.

Thank you.

Brigadier General Md Mustafa Kamal

GAC Member for ICANN from Bangladesh

&

Diretor General (DG)

Engineering and Operation Division(E&O)

Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC)

Phone: +88029553433, +8801552202734, +8801730051211