[Neobrahmigp] Oriya (Odia) LGR Proposal updated based on Public Comments

Kuldeep Patnaik kuldeep.patnaik3 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 11:49:06 UTC 2018

Dear Sarmad, Pitinan and NBGP team,

For Odia LGR Proposal (myself and Dr Jethy) have updated the Odia LGR
proposal with *document version 2.8 *based on the feedback received dring
public comments.
The following changes are made which you can see them highlighted in sky
blue colour in the attached document.

   - EGIDS Scale for Odia script is attached in page no 10
   - Consideration of two characters of Myanmar script as variants in Oriya
   script as per comments by Thin Zar Phyo, Myanmar GP.

   - Following changes made based on comments from Mr Liang Hai and other
   commentators

   1. Edited section 2 to use ISO 15919 system and transliterate as ‘oṛiā’
   2. Section 3, the word variant and topics related to historical aspects
   have been removed from the LGR document.
   3. The missing IPA of ‘ଯ’has been included but rounded schwa does exist
   in oriya so need not be mentioned.
   4. Updated Oriya words to use ISO 15919 system where needed.
   5. In section 3.7, added other forms in addition to the pre-base form
   6. Cleaned duplicated dotted circles in Table 3.
   7. In WEL Rules included C[N][M][B|D|X] | V[B|D|X] | C[N]H
   8. Updated with correct examples in WLE rules
   9. all the Wikipedia reference, are now removed with other relevant
   content

All the public comments are address and updated where ever needed, as per
the list mentioned, refer link
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m9MbBfNBQZAFc9SOYpt0lgeeyM3N-DsUP173J4Vb948/edit#

*We have also agreed to removed option to use nukta after କ 0B15 KA, ଖ0B16
KHA, ଗ0B17 GA, ଚ0B1A CA, ଜ 0B1C JA, ଫ 0B2B PHA characters and updated the
Odia LGR Proposal accordingly based on the following reason.*

Out of 21 tribal languages of orissa, seven are Indic and thus can be
easily written using a Brahmi based script like Oriya script. However,
there are also eight Austro Asiatic and six Dravidian tribal languages.
These nonIndic languages have certain characters which are not new but
variants of Oriya characters and can be precisely expressed using
diacritics like nukta. However, some characters in different languages
under consideration are found to have more than two allophones of the same
phoneme. For example,  the 'Ca' / "ଚ" allophones in Dravidian and
Austroasiatic tribal languages,  approximate "ଶ" and "ଜ" respectively. This
raises problem in use of single diacritic like nukta. Moreover, different
linguistics differ in the number of consonants used in a particular tribal
language.

We have tried to expand the EGIDS table by collecting more information on
characters with nukta. But most of our tribal languages of Austro-Asiatic
and Dravidian origin fall under EGIDS scale 5, 6a and 6b where the
documentation is scarce. EGIDS 4 has only one tribal language of
Austro-Asiatic origin but it has already developed Ol Chiki script of its
own.

So, we should consider dropping the inclusion of Nukta for the characters
in this language in Oriya script.

But in the EGIDS scale 4 we have Sanskrit and in scale 5, we have 3
Dravidian tribal languages such as Kuvi, Koya, Kisan. All these four
languages have ଵ 0B35 character in common the same is updated in the google
document, thus it is under discussion in this proposal.

Thank & Best Regards
Kuldeep Patnaik