[Neobrahmigp] Malayalam LGR document v1.2

veena solomon veena.ycet at gmail.com
Sun May 13 22:47:47 UTC 2018

Thank you! I have gone through the invalids and they are indeed caused by
the joiner characters and the split matras being used.

Historically, ZWJ was used to render chillu in certain fonts but later
Unicode included chillu characters as standalone codepoints and MSR-3 also
includes these standalone chillu characters. So, I think ZWJ need not be
added in IDN.

ZWNJ, is used to prevent the formation of conjunct ligatures and it is
required to avoid spelling mistakes and unnecessary conjuncts. For example,
in a 2 word label, the first word ending in virama can form conjunct with
the second word starting in a consonant. This causes a spelling mistake.

I request the other Malayalam panel members to go through the same and make
suggestions.

Regards,

*Veena Solomon*

[image: Twitter icon] <http://www.twitter.com/vinazol> [image: Pinterest