[Neobrahmigp] Fwd: Final release of LGR and Bangla LGR

Mohammad Abdul Haque mahaqueanu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 18:43:40 UTC 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mohammad Mamun Or Rashid <mamunbd at juniv.edu>
Date: Sun, Feb 10, 2019, 12:21 AM
Subject: Final release of LGR and Bangla LGR
To: Brigadier General Md Mustafa kamal <mustafa2319 at gmail.com>, Brigadier
General Md Mustafa kamal <dgeo at btrc.gov.bd>, Mohammad Abdul Haque <
mahaqueanu at gmail.com>, Mustafa Jabbar <mustafajabbar at gmail.com>, Sarmad
Hussain <sarmad.hussain at icann.org>, Pitinan Kooarmornpatana <
pitinan.koo at icann.org>, <unsingh at ggn.amity.edu>, Rajib Chakraborty <
rajibchakraborty2005 at gmail.com>, <ajay at data.in>, <akshatj at cdac.in>, Samiran
Gupta <samiran.gupta at icann.org>, Istiaque Arif <arif at btrc.gov.bd>, Pabitra
Sarkar <pabitra37 at gmail.com>, <jiarong.low at icann.org>

Dear all

I would like to express our reaction on the final release of LGR docs by
NBGP including Bangla LGR. You might have known we are concerned about
Bangla LGR. It is a matter of disappointment that Bangla/Bengali LGR
document is going to be released without proper consent of Bangladesh and
Bengali community. We presume that the released document (tentative) does
not reflect the opinions and major recommendations given by Dhaka meetings
which were held at Bangla Academy and BTRC.  Moreover, we have placed our
opinions and substantial arguments in the Delhi meeting. NBGP should have
solved the disputes raised by Bengali/Bangla community.

You might have known, MSR 4, IDNA 2008 and Unicode-11 versions do not
reflect our one of the key claims—the exclusion of nukta and inclusion of
three highly frequent characters as atomic character. In these three
technical documents, the same disputes remain ignored. Here Bangla script
(or the language) is represented as a subset of Devanagari/ Hindi (?). For
your kind information, we want to restate that the Bangla script is an
independent script/language with some distinctive linguistic and
orthographic features. Probably, honorable NBGP plans to propel a unified
format for all new Brahmi scripts. But there is an old-saying,`One size
does not fit all’—which is very true for this particular situation.

So please wait until we revise the Unicode and IDNA and MSR or halt the
process regarding Bangla LGR as it is a matter of the Billion speakers’
interest.

Best wishes for other LGR/s.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mamun Or Rashid

Representative, Bangla LGR (Bangladesh End)

Consultant, Bangladesh Computer Council, ICT division.

Assistant Professor, Jahangirnagar Unvisersity