[Neobrahmigp] Kannada LGR v2.5 - 20190220

Sarmad Hussain sarmad.hussain at icann.org
Mon Mar 4 03:29:26 UTC 2019

Dear Pavanaja and NBGP members,

IP has suggested some minor edits to consider before final submission of the proposal, listed in their message below.

As next steps, once these edits are incorporated, the proposal will be published at the proposals’ webpage <https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/lgr-proposals-2015-12-01-en>  as the final version after public comment, and then IP will undertake its evaluation.

Regards,
Sarmad

  _____

To: NeoBrahmi Generation Panel

From: Integration Panel

We reviewed the updated Kannada proposal dated 2019-02-20. We found three small changes we would like to recommend to the GP.

In particular, this proposal, like some of the others where a single language dominates a script of the same name suffers from a tendency of conflating "language" and "script" in the description of the LGR. For the main proposal document (DOCX) there is enough context to make clear that the LGR is about the script not the language; therefore we do not suggest a further changes in that text. However, for the XML description,  there isn't as much context; therefore, we are suggesting an update to one of the paragraphs in the <description>.

The other two changes suggest to more consistently gloss Yogohavas as "semiconsonants", which makes the documentation more accessible to non-native readers.

-Integration Panel

Detailed Feedback

DOCX

The header of section 3.4.2 could be changed from

    3.4.2 Yogavahas

    3.4.2 Yogavahas (Semiconsonants)

to give the standard English term for this category (as was done for vowels, consonants, etc.); likewise for the corresponding heading in the XML.

XML

(1)

Under "Character Classes" in <description> the XML states:

"The Kannada language is written using the Kannada script. The structure of Kannada is similar to that of other Indian languages; it is particularly closely related to Telugu. The heart of the writing system is the Akshar. Kannada alphabet is known as aksharamale or varnamale. The basic characters in varnamale are classified into three main categories. They are - swara (vowels), vyanjana (consonants) and yogavahas "

This statement is a bit unfortunate as it makes it appear that the LGR was designed based on the structure of the Kannada *language* not the Kannada *script*. The passage also talks about the "Kannada alphabet". This should be changed to Kannada "script".

A better way to phrase this passage (assuming that the focus on "language" is accidental rather than intentional)
might be:

"The structure of the Kannada script is similar to that of other Indian scripts; it is particularly closely related to Telugu. The heart of the writing system is the Akshar. The Kannada script is known as aksharamale or varnamale . The basic characters are classified into three main categories. They are - swara (vowels), vyanjana (consonants) and yogavahas (semiconsonants)."

(2) also in Character classes: change run-in header from "Yogavahas:" to "Yogavahas (Semiconsonants)"

TXT

Absent normative changes, we have not repeated the tests.

  _____