[Neobrahmigp] [Ext] Re: NBGP Bangla Meeting

Udaya Narayana Singh unsciil at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 01:34:38 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,
On behalf of NBGP as well as the team working on Bangla LGR (the only pending script out of Neo-Brahmi initiatives), we note that a lot of time has passed since the last meeting with both ICANN and UNICODE team in Kobe, Japan. Meanwhile, true to our decision, the Bangladeshi experts have made several rounds of contact with the international groups as well as among themselves to take the LGR activity forward. In particular, we are happy to note that there have been two national-level interactions organized by BTRC (4.9.2019) and Bangladesh Computer Council (9.9.2019) attended by scholars, members of the civil society and otherstakeholders (linguists, ICT experts, faculty members, journalists,font-developers, language-technicians, and officials of BanglaAcademy, IMLI, A2i, BTRC, BCC, and ITindustry).
Among other issues, the focus has obviously been the possible projection of or status of three dotted letters of Bangla - (ড়,ঢ়,য়). the consensus from both  BTRC and BCC meetings seem to be encouraging for the NBGP and Bangla LGR team in that there has been a general agreement to go ahead with our joint work, except that these three letters should be treated as single, indivisible and unique or atomic characters in our chart, not to be explained or covered under a mechanism (or set of rules) that demonstrate them as a conjunct character with a 'Nukta'. At the level of Bangla LGR team, it may be noted that in the mean while we had prepared two sets of LGR documents - one where the three were shown as constituting with 'Nukta', and another where we had dropped them until the UNICODE had agreed to or acceded to the demands of both Bangla speech communities from Bangladesh and India to treating the three above as atomic characters much like র. Meanwhile, there has been a detailed set of comments of the Integration Panel to improve upon Bangla LGR since we had the last F2F in March 2019 at ICANN64.

To the extent that the Bangla speech community has been united in putting forth their genuine demand for modification in the UNICODE coding to treat them as unique for Bangla (and perhaps for some other languages as well - especially those using the same writing system), I would like those involved to discuss if we should revise our LGR proposal - by taking care of all responses of the IP but by deleting the use of three characters - a position we had agreed to earlier since our F2F meeting in Delhi. As and when the UNICODE agrees to revise their decision, we may come back on the LGR document at a future date and revise it further to our satisfaction. That would enable Bangla script to be a part of the Label generation activities on the web, and we would not lag behind others.

I thought I should pen this down as I shall be driving now to another destination, and would attempt to join the call perhaps slightly late.

Regards,

Professor Udaya Narayana Singh  F-0902, Bestech Park View Grandspa, Gurgaon Sector 81PIN 122401 Haryana (India)
Cell: +91-98301-32234 & 94340-50218
Formerly, Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan &Former Director, Central Inst of Indian Languages (CIIL)Home-page www.udayanarayana.com