[Neobrahmigp] FW: [Ext] Re: Publishing Bangla LGR for Public Comment

Udaya Narayana Singh unsciil51 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 11:33:56 UTC 2020

Dear Pitinan,
I appreciate the email sent by the Brigadier General Mahfuzul Karim Mazumder.
Meanwhile, as a part of our comment, I'd like to point out that in the root-zone as of now, there are two TLD delegated in Bangla and they do not strictly conform with our LGR  (which is ok as it happened before the LGR and they are ccTLDs). They are ভারত and ভাৰত, whereas the র and ৰ are variant blocked. Therefore if a label follow LGR rules, there should not be two labels such as ভারত and ভাৰত  activated at the same time. So a question may arise as to how to handle the existing case. I suggest that we may "grandfather" them technically. Let this issue be placed in the Comments section -- and we at the NBGP will respond to this by submitting a comment to the public comment platform. Ideally,  the two labels ভারত and ভাৰত need not be activated at the same time because ভারত is a valid Bangla label and ভাৰত is an Assamese label.
But as these two are already delegated in the root-zone https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/string-evaluation-completion-2014-02-19-en via the ccTLD Fast Track process(ভারত was delegated in 2010 and ভাৰত was delegated in 2016 to facilitate  the Assamese users employing the same script), we will have to take a stand that  it can be described as grandfathered which would mean that no solution in our LGR needs to be changed. As NBGP we are aware that these two labels will continue as-is. However for any new label registration e.g. TLD for next round or new ccTLD application, it should follow the LGR.
Regards,

Udaya Narayana SinghCo-Chair, NBGP