[Newgtld-input] Another hashing function for simple metering

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Aug 15 16:58:44 UTC 2012

It occurred to me that there might be objections to the birthday as the hash key.  Another possible key:

Use a technique based on the time of day when the submitt key was pressed, no matter which day and create your hashing function based on time of day modulo the number of separate buckets, that would be as good as the day-of-birth method.

Suppose:

N = number of buckets, e.g. 100 buckets for 100 months of 20 applications per month

Modulo N(seconds or minutes since midnight UTC button was pressed)

As I indicated, I am sure there are all sorts of numbers already attached to each application, so the general notion is pick a good number and use it modulo the number of buckets that work best for the metering process.

Avri Doria