[Npoc-discuss] A Tribute to Olevié Kouami

Poncelet Ileleji pileleji at jokkolabs.co
Fri Oct 20 12:27:36 UTC 2023

Good day NPOC Colleagues,

How do I start this write up,  with flashes of the early days of NPOC
popping back into my memory. It was a shock to me to read this morning  on
our African IGF WhatsApp group on a post by Emmanuel Vitus on the demise of
Olevié Kouami  who died of a heart attack in the early hours of Thursday 19
October 2023 in Lomé, Togo.

I got to know Olevié Kouami   in the early days of NPOC over a decade ago,  we
were the only two Africans that our organisations were part of NPOC then.  He
was jovial, fun and we always agreed to disagree.  Olevié Kouami  was very
active in NPOC in the early days, we worked tirelessly together with our
Late Chair then, Alain Berranger of blessed memory who we lost some years
back, God Bless Alain soul. .

I last met Olevié Kouami  in person some 3 years ago at the Pullman Hotel
in Dakar, still his usual self, he only sent a message to me some days
after the global IGF in Kyoto on Facebook.  To hear of his sudden demise is
sad and shocking.

Olevié Kouami in his own way he contributed to NPOC early development, we
co authored with other NPOC Executives  colleagues then (Klaus Stoll, Alain
Berranger, Marie-Laure Lemineur, Cintra Sooknanan, Poncelet Ileleji and
Olévié Kouami ) the Non--‐Commercial Stakeholder Group: Not--‐for--‐Profit
Operational Concerns Outreach Plan 2013.  A Plan 10 years plus old ,  am
attached again which I believe is still relevant to NPOC even today.

Olevié Kouami he is now with our dearest amiable chair Alain Berranger in
the heavens, am sure they will talk about NPOC as those early days where
heated in our dialogues and exchanges either at ICANN Meetings or Global
IGFs where NPOC used to have sessions then or our numerous online meetings
via  skype or  Adobe Connect back then.

To his close friend in NPOC Professor Emeritus Sam LanFranco who he
developed a strong bond with I also send my big condolences.  NPOC has now
lost two individuals who in the early years of NPOC formation fought for
its identity within ICANN.  Our collective shared responsibility moving
forward  is to see NPOC carry out its mandate within the ICANN community in
an honest and transparent way where equity counts even though we agree to
disagree our NPOC membership binds us as we share the same objectives
hence, we joined NPOC.

As ICANN celebrates 25 years of existence in Hamburg starting tomorrow 21st
October.  NPOC birth to the be the  second Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group
constituency  within ICANN is also important to mention what we have done
to address issues of Not for Profits within the DNS space, no matter how
little some might see our contributions.

To our current NPOC  leadership, may God guide you to strengthen NPOC
better than before, even though disagreements will happen, but we should
not lose sight of why NPOC became a necessary constituency in ICANN.

May the soul of Olevié Kouami     rest in perfect peace. Adieu Mr Jovial
rest in the heavens brother, you ran your race our God knows best why you
left us soon.

Peace Always

Poncelet

*Poncelet O. Ileleji*

*Jokkolabs Banjul -  Lead / CEO*
*Sait Matty Road, Bakau, Adjacent to Swedish Consulate*
*KMC, The Gambia*
*P O Box 4496 Bakau,KMC, The Gambia*
*Skype: pons_utd*
*Tel Direct Office: +220 4495115*