[Npoc-discuss] Endorsements For NPOC Upcoming Elections

Arsène Tungali arsenebaguma at gmail.com
Mon May 13 16:54:20 UTC 2024

Dear Bolutife,

Thanks for writing, I first received this off list and responded to check
whether you did not mean to send it to the list. I am glad to see you post
it to the list as a good way to continue the conversation.

My quick comments inline as I am boarding a flight soon.

Thank you,
Arsène
Le lun. 13 mai 2024 à 18:40, Bolutife Adisa <adisabolutifeo at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Dear Arsène,
>
> Firstly, I would like to point out that your comment ‘…This is where you
> started making more sense and I thank you for speaking…’ is quite
> distasteful and blatantly rude considering the previous commenter didn’t
> attack your person in any way. I believe this is also below ICANN’s
> standard of cordial engagement (I would expect you to know that since you
> have 10years experience).

I would like to use this opportunity to publicly apologize for that. I did
not intend to be rude to my friend and colleague Poncelet. I think it is an
issue with language as I often think in French first before writing in
English. But that's not an excuse, I hope Poncelet and everyone else accept
my sincere apologies.

> To the matter at hand, I think it is quite ridiculous for you to ask
> people who are willing to volunteer within the constituency to step-down.
> The charter clearly defines who is eligible to contest while the NPOC
> community has the right to decide who leads through the voting process. I
> am confounded as to why you think you deserve the right to undermine the
> electoral freedom of NPOC members?

I am sure you can see my point beyond that, if you try to. My intentions
are very far from what you point here. I did not ask anyone to step down
but I encouraged people including the current nominees to be part of the
work to onboard new blood as a way to deal with burnout that our leaders
always face, including myself as a past leader. Maybe it was better said in
my send message than the first one. I hope this clarifies my point.

> Like Poncelet rightly said, NPOC leadership is a volunteer position that
> requires a lot of time commitment and interest in policy work. While it is
> a nice to have, It is not part of our job description to mentor people to
> become active contributors, we are all volunteers with different levels of
> time availability. However, we have seen people who show commitment take
> over leadership in recent past, I myself have been a case study. All
> members have a chance to demonstrate the extent to which they are willing
> to volunteer by showing their valuable contributions to policy via the NCSG
> as well as supporting NPOC work via meetings, working groups and public
> comments.

+  1 and congrats to the work you and everyone else is doing! But, our
leaders should consider (and I am sure they do) that as part of their job
description, even if it is not written bluntly on paper. If not, what's the
point of being a leader if you cannot mentor those who will serve after you?

> Campaign period is where we get a chance to share our contributions to
> NPOC and the members decide because they see who is working and who isn’t.
> They are also aware of those who only show up every election cycle/ when
> there are travel opportunities announced.

I look forward to that time. And I really hope we have many other nominees
so that we get a chance to see the various visions people have for NPOC
because this is the only time we get to do that. And I have seen those
elected use part of what others expressed as their vision (if elected)
during their term as a way to improve our work and processes. We need that!

> I personally will not be stepping down in the coming election, as I am
> willing and ready to serve the constituency and I hope my other colleagues
> will decide based on their personal circumstances and not because someone
> makes a demand of them to step aside.

Please don't step down and it is good that you accept the nomination. I am
sure staff will note that already.