[Npoc-discuss] NPOC Election Candidate Q&A via Email

Emmanuel Vitus vitus at afrotribune.com
Wed May 29 01:48:28 UTC 2024

Dear Glenn and Judith,

Thank you both for your questions. I regret that we missed the
opportunity for a "meet the candidate" call this cycle.

This past year, as NPOC Policy Chair, I concentrated on enhancing our
impact within the ICANN ecosystem, particularly focusing on Policy
issues including Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) and Applicant
Support Programs for the upcoming rounds of gTLDs. I represented NPOC in
the EPDP on IDNs, which involved a physical meeting in Kuala Lumpur and
90min weekly commitments, including extensive literature reviews and
collaboration with experts (a special thanks to Kathy). I authored a
public comment on the Phase 2 Initial Report of the EPDP on IDNs,
highlighting critical concerns for nonprofit organizations and
non-commercial stakeholders.

Together with the Executive Committee, we actively promoted the
Applicant Support Program, organizing sessions and discussions during
and between ICANN meetings. With Bolutife, I co-drafted comments on the
Draft Registry Service Provider (RSP) Handbook and the Applicant Support
Program (ASP) Handbook. Out of the four public comments submitted by
NCSG this year, NPOC led three, demonstrating our active participation
and leadership.

You can view all our public comments on our wiki page. [2]

Regarding policy and governance issues, we've engaged in several
critical discussions, including those on the Transfer Policy Review and
Preliminary Recommendations and ongoing debates at the policy committee
level, covering topics like SubPro Small Team Plus and Singulars/Plurals
in New gTLDs. These engagements have significantly raised NPOC's
visibility and influence.

I also supported the Executive Committee in organizing joint sessions
with ALAC, the ICANN Grant Program team, and the Security and Stability
Advisory Committee (SSAC). Additional engagements included participation
in the GNSO Policy & Implementation Working Group Recommendations,
Public Interest Commitments (PICs), and Registry Voluntary Commitments
(RVCs).

In terms of governance, we have drafted a new charter for our
constituency, which will be operational post-election. My hope is to
extend our focus to include broader governance activities and enhance
member inclusion, especially for non-commercial organizations in the
Global South.

As I seek your support for a second term, my aim is to create and
fortify our policy committee (at NPOC level) to more effectively
influence ongoing and upcoming policy developments at the stakeholder
group level and ICANN in general. This is crucial for ensuring that our
members are well-prepared to participate meaningfully in the ICANN
policy processes.

Please feel free to reach out with any further questions or concerns. I
am eager to continue the work we've started and hope to earn your
confidence for another term.

Best regards,

Emmanuel Vitus

NPOC Policy Chair

°°°°
Hi Glenn,
thanks for starting it off.  I have a couple of questions for both the
Policy Coordinator but also to the entire executive committee.

During the past year, what policy issues, including governance issues
have NPOC commented on in the past year?  Please state and if possible
provide a link to these comments.  Also what policy issues and  or ICANN
governance issues has NPOC contributed to the NCSG policy comments?

How have you appraised the NPOC community about ICANN Policy,
Governance, operational, including the multi stakeholder model, about
these issues coming through the pipeline so that they could help you
develop policy comments.

Thanks

Judith Hellerstein

Sent from my iPad