[RDS-WHOIS2-CommInterface] Response to your written briefing request

Alice Jansen alice.jansen at icann.org
Wed Mar 7 08:17:52 UTC 2018

Dear Common Interface subgroup,

See below a response from GDD in response to the briefing request you submitted on 26 February 2018.

Best regards

Alice

----

We write in response to your request for a “written briefing regarding query failures on WHOIS microsite - how frequent, cause, any efforts to alleviate. The subgroup would like to gather statistics (current) on use of the common interface, uptime, requests for help using the tool and what usage data is tracked by ICANN. In addition, it is seeking information on challenges encountered.”

Regarding your request for uptime data, the uptime for the ICANN WHOIS service was 99.99% for the last 30 days, 90 days, and 365 days. You can review this data on ICANN’s Accountability Indicators at https://www.icann.org/accountability-indicators. To view, click on “Objective 3”, then click on “3.2 Ensure structured coordination of ICANN’s technical resources”, then select “Tier 1”, “Community”, “Last 30 Days/90 Days/or 365 Days” and scroll down.

Regarding your request for data on “help using the tool”, our Global Support Center does not track inquiries at this level of granularity. Their informal observation is that they do not believe that they receive very many, if any, of these types of inquiries.

Regarding your request for usage data, we currently do not report on this information. As such, significant time and resources would be needed to determine what information exists in the log data, write reports, and analyze the information to respond to the Sub-Team’s request. As technical resources are fully allocated to other projects, it could be some time before this could be completed and data made available to the Sub-team. Before we move forward with requesting resource allocation to work on this request, we kindly ask that you confirm the request for this data, and to the extent possible, provide any specific usage information that you are looking for so that we can ensure to include it in our reporting and analysis.

Regarding your request for information regarding query failures, we have previously provided responses to similar questions (https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/rds-whois2-rt/2017-November/000207.html). It would be helpful if you could review these responses to see if they address the questions that you have, and if not identify the gaps for which you would like additional information.