[RDS-WHOIS2-RT-Leadership_Staff] RDS Leadership call agenda and Questions on Travel, Fact Sheet

Jean-Baptiste Deroulez jean-baptiste.deroulez at icann.org
Wed Nov 29 10:53:36 UTC 2017

Dear RDS-WHOIS2 Leaders,

In anticipation of the leadership call #12<https://community.icann.org/display/WHO/Meeting+%2312+-+30+November+2017> this Thursday at 16:30 UTC, please find below a suggested agenda and answers to your questions related to Travel, Fact Sheet. We also included in attachment a revised version of the slide deck that was shared with you last week.

Suggested Agenda

  *   Q&A on Travel costs, Fact Sheet
  *   Plan to adopt Terms of Reference and work plan
  *   Subgroups - Update
  *   Briefings requests - Update
  *   Scheduling
     *   Plenary calls time (https://doodle.com/poll/xcykk6nikur53kgd ) & suggested agenda
     *   Leadership calls
  *   A.O.B.

Questions related to Travel costs, Fact Sheet

First of all, we would like to thank you for your questions and comments as they allow us to improve and reevaluate what should appear on these documents to make them relevant and useful to the review team and the community. We reported below some answers to your questions and look forward to discussing these with Charla on our upcoming leadership call.

  *   ICANN Meeting/Outside Venue vs. ICANN Office

We provided you last week with a PowerPoint presentation that includes costs differences between meetings held during ICANN Meeting/Outside Venue vs. ICANN Office. The costs presented on slide 5 are for ten supported RDS review team members only; the other review team members’ travel and hotel are funded by other sources.

If you plan on scheduling a face-to-face meeting before an ICANN meeting, it usually lasts 1-2 days followed by 3 approved days to hold engagement sessions with other constituency groups. Please note that we need to submit the request for a face-to-face meeting before/after an ICANN meeting at least 4 months in advance. In order to meet this deadline, we submitted the request for a face-to-face meeting before ICANN61.  Please note that cancelling it as this stage would not incur any cancellations fees. Moving forward, we will continue to remind you well in advance of all travel-related deadlines.

Staff support for a face-to-face is at the discretion of ICANN org.  There are many factors that we consider in determining who should attend, including the Review Team’s agenda, what is being discussed, who needs to present, etc.  In general, if a Review Team face-to-face meeting is held before an ICANN meeting, staff cost is typically not charged to the review budget.  Exceptions where ICANN org travel is charged to the review budget may include, for example, when the Review Team requires a briefing from a given SME that would not have otherwise attended the ICANN meeting. For face-to-face meetings that take place outside of ICANN meetings, the ICANN org travel will be charged to the review budget.

  *   Expected Duration

Expected duration is calculated based on the start date, and the estimated final date. The start date corresponds to the day the Review Team was convened, as indicated in the Bylaws.  As of the date of this Fact Sheet (through 30 September), the estimated date for completion was June 2018. Once the Review Team finalizes its work plan, the December Fact Sheet will be updated accordingly.

  *   Leadership calls

Thank you for the suggestion of adding leadership calls to the Fact Sheet.  We will add this data but suggest including subgroup calls to provide a full picture. We would like to also suggest adding the number of calls that have been cancelled.

  *   Staff hours

We can certainly provide you with more details on how these are being calculated. However, we would like to point out that there is a fundamental difference between how review team members and staff hours are reflected, as the only time we can capture for review team members is the number of hours spent on calls. Staff time is more quantifiable than volunteer time. We would welcome any suggestion from you on how we could better quantify review team members’ time.

  *   Financial Resources

The travel spent represents everything that was in the books by September 30, some of it included travel and hotel for supported members going to Johannesburg, it also included some costs related to the Face-to-Face meeting in Brussels.  As indicated in the footnote, committed services are broken down into two categories: 1) Professional services includes services from signed contracts to be provided or invoiced; 2) travel includes projected expenses for: anticipated remaining expenses for Brussels in October, ICANN61 and ICANN62.  We can easily remove the projected expenses for ICANN61 and ICANN62 at this time.

In support of the information noted above, we will be providing more details on the leadership call to help answer all your questions.

We want to be partners with you in developing these Fact Sheets going forward and would strongly recommend having one of the leaders be the liaison to work with us throughout the development of the Fact Sheets on an ongoing basis.

Kind regards,

Jean-Baptiste