[RDS-WHOIS2-RT-Leadership_Staff] Consensus

Susan Kawaguchi susankpolicy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 02:53:50 UTC 2017

Hello All,

Sorry this is late it turned into a busy day.

Consensus decision-making is a group decision-making process in which group
members develop, and agree to support a decision in the best interest of
the whole.

*Conditions for using Consensus*

Common Goal

Commitment to reaching consensus

Trust and openness

Sufficient time

Clear process

Active participation

Good facilitation

*Test for agreement *Do you have agreement? Check for the following:

*Blocks: *I have a fundamental disagreement with the core of the proposal
that has not been resolved. We need to look for a new proposal.

*Stand asides: *I can't support this proposal because ... But I don't want
to stop the group, so I'll let the decision happen without me.

*Reservations*: I have some reservations but am willing to let the proposal
pass.

*Agreement*: I support the proposal and am willing to implement it.

*Consensus: **No blocks, not too many stand asides or reservations? Active
agreement?*

The Review Team will not require full consensus.  We discussed in Brussels
80% agreement of the team would constitute consensus in our
recommendations.

As we finalize our recommendations we will record each members level of
agreement.

 I didn't have time to flesh this out more but thought it would be a
start.  Unfortunately will not be on the call tomorrow due to the GNSO
Council meeting.

Susan