[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] Privacy issue

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 15 05:12:53 UTC 2017

At our meeting two weeks ago, we discussed privacy and the place it
holds in our review process. I have thought about it a lot since
then, and would like to summarize my feelings.

It is clear in my mind that:

- the current WHOIS implementation ignores privacy issues, and this
has been a known issue for a long time;
- for whatever reasons, ICANN has chosen to largely ignore the issue,
even though it has become of increasing importance to many parties
and in multiple jurisdictions;
- the GDPR deadline has raised the importance and priority of the issue;
- ICANN is working on a GDPR response, and while opinions differ on
whether their plans are reasonable or appropriate, the deadline of 25
May 2018 will almost surely have passed by the time we deliver our
final report;
- as important as GDPR (and its penalties for non-compliance) are it
is not the only privacy issue that ICANN is facing or will face and
we need to address the generic issue in any recommendations we make;
and finally
- our recommendations need to be high level and not attempt to
provide detailed policy or implementation which is the domain of the
GNSO PDP and its follow-on activities.

Although this message is being sent on my own behalf as a RT Member,
it has been reviewed by both Vice-Chairs and they are in general agreement.

I welcome thoughts on this.

Alan