[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] Scope of RDS-WHOIS2-RT

Chris Disspain chris at disspain.uk
Tue Jun 27 09:03:22 UTC 2017

Greetings All,

I am unlikely to make the meeting later today because of ccTLD commitments. I have a couple of comments on Alan’s note below from a Board perspective.

Cheers,

Chris

> On 26 Jun 2017, at 22:00, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:
>
> In preparation for the meeting tomorrow, I would like to explain why I feel that we should limit our scope to an in depth review of the first WHOIS-RT recommendations and their implementation. This is specifically called for in section (iv) of the Bylaw governing this review: The Directory Service Review Team shall assess the extent to which prior Directory Service Review recommendations have been implemented and the extent to which implementation of such recommendations has resulted in the intended effect.
>
> As the first phase of this, MSSI should, with the support of the appropriate ICANN departments, prepare a full assessment of the WHOIS_RT Recommendations and their implementation, and do so prior to our first formal face-to-face meeting.
>
> Any future replacement for WHOIS is being discussed in the GNSO Next-Generation RDS PDP and is clearly our of scope. Privacy issues with the current WHOIS are clearly an issue, but I do not believe that this RT is the proper place to design any "fix" to meet GDPR issues, n ot would our time-frame meet requirements to act in the next several months.

I tend to agree.

> The GNSO has suggested nine focus areas that we should look at, and I would like to review them here.
>
>> 1. Assess whether the RDS efforts currently underway in the ICANN community are on target to meet the “legitimate needs of law enforcement, promoting consumer trust and safeguarding registrant data.”
>
> The prime RDS effort is the GNSO PDP. Given that the PDP is not at a stage to make any recommendations, I do see how we could assess its outcomes. If indeed it is thought to be in trouble, it is the sole responsibility of the GNSO to take action. A RT recommendation to the Board cannot do that.

Alan is correct. The Board would have no power to implement any such recommendation from the RT.

>> 2. Assess the RDS efforts currently underway (or planned in the near term), for the purpose of making recommendations regarding how they might be improved and better coordinated.
>
> Again, I do not know what crystal ball we have to do this.

Again, the Board would have no power to implement such recommendations in respect to the GNSO PDP.