[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] RDS-WHOIS2 Review Team Plenary Call #6 31 August 2017 - 11:00 UTC

Jean-Baptiste Deroulez jean-baptiste.deroulez at icann.org
Fri Sep 8 10:02:36 UTC 2017

Dear Review Team members,

Please find below the identified decisions reached and action items from the last plenary call:

Decisions reached:

-          On scope as per the Bylaws section 4.6.e.ii: Review Team agreed to treat separately:

     *   the effectiveness of the now current gTLD registry directory service and
     *   whether its implementation meets the legitimate needs of law enforcement, promoting consumer trust and safeguarding registrant data.
The team also agreed that it may be useful to draw on the first WHOIS Review Team Scope of Work discussions for guidance on further defining the criterion of effectiveness.

  *   On Scope: On OECD, Review Team will conduct: simple review noting that there are issues and pointing at other groups which have more in-depth on the issue, and may consider recommending that it be dropped or replaced for future reviews.
  *   On scope - Review Team won't be addressing GNSO suggestion "Assess how RDS current & future recommendations might be improved and better coordinated".
  *   On scope - Compliance is within scope, and Review Team will take a look at it deeper.
  *   On scope - Review will evaluate whether RDAP should be implemented before policy is developed. Initial evaluation is that no benefit in implementing now.
  *   On scope - Carlton's issue on suitability of current protocol for current purposes: Initial evaluation is that it is not, if only that it only supports 7-bit-ASCII. This issue is a low effort one and will be included in the review, the wording will be refined slightly.
  *   On scope: IDN (suggested by Carlton & Dmitry) - whether IDN is considered suitable, IDN is the simplest example of why the current protocol does not work. This is considered in scope but with minimal effort on it.
  *   On timeline (cf Fact Sheet): agreement to publicize 12-month timeframe.

Action items:

  *   ToR:

  *   On removal/replacement of Team Members, include following edits: new member instead of replacement, 70 % for both thresholds, refuses instead of fails.
  *   On Dependencies section: - add GDPR, - add text "ICANN org to update list and alert RDS-WHOIS2 of any changes to the list"

  *   Scope

  *   On Scope: Row 2: Stephanie to propose definition of effectiveness

  *   Fact Sheet

  *   Address fact sheet question on how sections percentages are defined.

  *   Briefings

  *   Share schedule of briefings - this will inform decision whether to hold Sept 28th meeting or not.

Kind regards,

Jean-Baptiste