[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] RDS-WHOIS2 Review Team Plenary Call #8 28 September 2017 - 11:00 UTC

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 28 18:07:28 UTC 2017

Thanks Dmitry. Yes, I am well aware of using
non-ASCII characters to the left of the @ sign.

My recollection is that for
translation/transliteration, the new version
would not replace the old one, but be in addition
to it. And we are still some way from actually
implementing it due to unresolved issues (who
will pay for it, whether to use translation or
transliteration in any given case (and it is FAR
from obvious, since there are plenty of examples
where one makes sense and the other is simply meaningless, and vice versa).

Moreover, again my recollection is that the
action to be taken is field specific, and I would
presume that e-mail addresses are fields where it
may not make a lot of sense to even provide T/T
versions alongside (although the fact that my
left-of-at-sign is "alan.greenberg" DOES convey
information, so perhaps there is some reason).
But regardless, I think the current work does
address the issue. But of course, my recollection
could be in error, so we need to verify.

Alan