[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] Report on public session

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Jul 1 04:51:19 UTC 2018

With one exception, the public session went reasonably well. We had a
good number of people in the room. At the start of the session, slide
7 which had the coloured list of objectives displayed blank. I
started reading what should have been displayed from a copy with
really small sized font, and Susan turned around her laptop to show
the audience what they should have been seeing. After a good number
of minutes, the graphic finally loaded.

The "exception" was that Stephanie was sitting at the far end of the
table of speakers and I had not seen her come in, and could not see
her at the table. So I presumed that she had been delayed and did not
introduce her to talk about her section. No one else interrupted me,
so I ended up briefly presenting Anything New. I only was told that
she was there a day later. I offer my sincere apologies to Stephanie
for this mistake, and take full responsibility for it.

Not surprisingly, due to the amount of material on our slides, we ran
over our allotted time for the presentation, but still had sufficient
time for all questions. The highlight was Michele Neylon noticing
Compliance recommendation 4.7 which reads:

>Draft Recommendation (R4.7): Following a valid WHOIS ARS ticket, or
>WHOIS inaccuracy complaint, initiate a full audit targeting the
>relating registrar to check if the registrar follows the contractual
>obligations, the consensus policies, etc. Sanctions should be
>applied if deficiencies identified.

He was pointing out that triggering a full audit based on ONE
accuracy complaint might not be the wisest thing to recommend. I
recommend everyone listening to his rant. It was marvellous and on
the face of it he may well have a point. See
https://audio.icann.org/meetings/pty62/pty62-OPEN-2018-06-28-T2149-salon1-en-01-High-Interest-Session-RDSWHOIS2-_.mp3,
from 1:18:27 to 1:23:24.

Alan