[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] Interesting data for our work

Erika Mann erika at erikamann.com
Thu Mar 8 15:07:12 UTC 2018

Interesting observations from Mike O'Connor. Looking back to the beginning of the last round of new TLDs and looking at today's data.

"Here’s the reference that caught my eye:

You can find this on page 150 of the newly-released Whois study — done by the Expert Working Group on gTLD Directory Services.  Here’s the link to the study — https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/final-report-06jun14-en.pdf

The thing that struck me was that whopping 22% annual growth rate.  Partly this is due to some pretty optimistic assumptions about the growth in the number of new gTLDs (I’m willing to bet any money that the beginning of 2015 will not see 200,000 gTLD domains in the root).  But leaving that aside, 22% year over year growth isn’t something we’ve seen since pre-bubble glory days."

https://www.haven2.com/index.php/archives/are-projections-of-registration-growth-in-generic-top-level-domains-realistic

Sent from my iPhone