[RDS-WHOIS2-RT] ICANN Proposal to adjust scope of RDS-WHOIS2-RT

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed May 16 02:30:40 UTC 2018

I call your attention to a Public Comment (PC) launched yesterday
asking for input on alternatives to alter the RDS-WHOIS2-RT Scope and
plans (as well possible changes to the not yet started ATRT3) -
https://www.icann.org/public-comments/specific-reviews-short-term-timeline-2018-05-14-en.

I proposes three possible scenarios for our RT:

a) Proceeds as planned;

b) reduce scope to just an analysis of the WHOIS1-RT Recommendations;

c) pause the review entirely for some as yet to be determined time.

If recommended by the community, b) and c) would require our
agreement. The implications of a community recommendation that we
refused to agree with are not known. If there is a pause, it is not
clear when the unpause would happen and to what extent it would be
the same team moving forward.

The PC ends on 06 July 2018 and the report on input received is due
on 23 July 2018, a few days before we are currently planning to meet
in Brussels to close-to-finalize our report.

Although the PC was issues yesterday, neither I nor Susan and Cathrin
had any prior knowledge of it and in fact we only heard of it today.

We have initiated discussions with MSSI on exactly what this means
and will get back when I have a better understanding.

Alan