Rescheduling Root KSK Ceremony 40

Kim Davies kim.davies at iana.org
Wed Feb 12 04:21:18 UTC 2020

The 40th Root Key Signing Key Ceremony, originally scheduled for 12 February 2020 at 2100 UTC in El Segundo, California, is being postponed.

During routine administrative maintenance of our Key Management Facility on 11 February, we identified an equipment malfunction that will prevent us from successfully conducting the ceremony as originally scheduled. The issue disables access to one of the secure safes that contains material for the ceremony.

We are currently evaluating our options to reschedule the ceremony. We maintain a complete replica facility in Culpeper, Virginia, and the ceremony may be moved to that location depending on the nature and resolution time for the fault.

We will provide further updates as our contingency plans evolve.

There is no risk to the secure elements within our facility, and there will be no service interruption to DNSSEC as a result of this issue. We have multiple redundancies and we anticipate being able to relocate and reschedule ceremonies. We apologize for the inconvenience the attendees who had already travelled to participate in the ceremony. This is the first time a ceremony has needed to be rescheduled in the 10 year history of KSK management.

Kim Davies
VP, IANA Services, ICANN
President, Public Technical Identifiers (PTI)