[rssac-caucus] Tweaks to RSSAC-002

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Wed Aug 31 07:35:30 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I love RSSAC-002, but have had a few small pain points consuming the
data that some of the root operators provide. I suggest that it might be
good to make RSSAC-002bis to improve things.

1. It would be helpful if there was a standard starting URL for
   these. I know section 4.7 defines the standard, but the starting
   point is different with 5 different styles for 8 operators.

    'a': 'http://a.root-servers.org/rssac-metrics/raw/',
    'b': 'http://b.root-servers.org/rssac/',
    'c': 'http://c.root-servers.org/rssac002-metrics/',
    'd': 'http://droot-web.maxgigapop.net/rssac002/',
    'h': 'http://h.root-servers.org/rssac002-metrics/',
    'j': 'http://j.root-servers.org/rssac-metrics/raw/',
    'k': 'https://www-static.ripe.net/dynamic/rssac002-metrics/',
    'l': 'http://stats.dns.icann.org/rssac/',
    'm': 'https://rssac.wide.ad.jp/rssac002-metrics/',

2. It would be nice if there was an SSL way to get the data everywhere.
   I know it may be hard for Verisign to get a certificate since they
   left the CA business, but we all have Lets Encrypt now. ;)

3. Some operators seem to have stuff not defined by RSSAC-002 in their
   directories. For example, several have PNG files in them, others
   seem to have debugging or additional directories. It's not a big
   deal, but naive scripts have to filter stuff out.

4. While RSSAC-002 says that frequency that reports are generated is
   out of scope, everyone but L does it daily so maybe it could just
   define that? Surely we can convince L to also generate daily?

5. Most importantly, every page says "Measurements of the Root Sever
   System" at the top (s/Sever/Server/). Once seen, cannot be unseen.

As a related issue, it sure would be nice if the remaining root
operators provided this information. Currently E, F, G, and I don't
have links on the http://www.root-servers.org site to this information
(I was surprised to see F and I missing, I admit). Maybe they have this
somewhere else? How would I know?

Also, the web H site with statistics seems down right now. Maybe it
would be helpful if ICANN mirrored the data? (That might actually solve
my problem of inconsistent directories.)

Cheers,

--
Shane