[rssac-caucus] DNS Root Server System history - input

John Bond john.bond at icann.org
Thu Feb 11 13:58:55 UTC 2016

On 10/02/2016 16:45, Steve Sheng wrote:
> Hi Arturo, thank you very much for the feedback! See my responses inline:
>
> From: <rssac-caucus-bounces at icann.org <mailto:rssac-caucus-bounces at icann.org>>
> on behalf of Arturo Servin <arturo.servin at gmail.com
> <mailto:arturo.servin at gmail.com>>
> Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 7:16 PM
> To: Tripti Sinha <tsinha at umd.edu <mailto:tsinha at umd.edu>>,
> "rssac-caucus at icann.org <mailto:rssac-caucus at icann.org>" <rssac-caucus at icann.org
> <mailto:rssac-caucus at icann.org>>
> Subject: Re: [rssac-caucus] DNS Root Server System history - input
>

>     Hi
>
>     I really enjoyed reading the document. I am not young but unfortunately I
>     wasn't yet there to have much of feedback.
>
>     In all the initial tables 1-2 the software was included, later in 3 there
>     isn't any mention. I wonder if this is because there isn't information or if
>     it wasn't consider relevant anymore.
>

> Mostly it was considered not relevant anymore. The first two tables were to show
> software diversity in the root server system, and how it moved from mainframe to
> Unix and from JEEVEs to BIND.
I think it would be nice to reintroduce software diversity when ripe NCC
took on the responsibility of k-root.  Im not sure of the history myself
but i was lead to believe that at this point most if not all root
servers where running bind which prompted RIPE NCC to work with NLnet
labs to produce NSD

John