[rssac-caucus] DNS Root Server System history - input

Alejandro Acosta alejandro at lacnic.net
Fri Feb 19 02:42:16 UTC 2016

Hello,
  I loved reading the document. it's great.
  But as usual, there still room for improvement, I don't like looking
for perfection but if we can improve a little we should do it. I
personally learned a lot while reading it.
  Here few comments:

1) In section 2. "History of Root Servers" I think we should be more
descriptive, tell more history, give more context, what the problem was,
problem distributing of the hosts.txt file, limitations, scalability,
things like that. Saying this, IMHO I believe the history in the
document can be better organized. It's a kind of shocking that it starts
talking about the RFCs and just in the second paragraph it jumps into
implementation of the first root server. I believe our target is
technical people but the document is about the History of DNS. I wonder
if we could include things like how much time took the first
developments, how many people was involve, language program used for,
etc. I personally enjoy these details

2) In few parts of the documents it's mentioned that (for example
A-Root) is one of the 13 logical Internet Root Servers......, also in
2.7 under the "Adding Root Letters", this information is terrific!, I
would love to expand in why the "limitation" is 13?. It's mention  Maybe
this is not history but this is something that probably is not widely
well explained. I don't think this point is particularly relevant, I
just wanted to mention it just in case.

3) What do you think about dedicating a small paragraph about what DNS
label compression is.., this concept is mentioned twice in the document.
I might be wrong but my guess is that many people don't know about this.

4) I agree with Arturo's comments

5) And finally, I wonder if at the end, along with the appendix we could
add something like an infographic [1] image

Regards,

Alejandro,