[rssac-caucus] NSID support on the root-servers

John Heidemann johnh at isi.edu
Tue Oct 18 06:14:35 UTC 2016

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 06:58:01 +0200, =?utf-8?Q?Ond=C5=99ej_Sur=C3=BD?= wrote:
>John,

I get it, for people want some other record AND what server it came
from.

My point was that there are some problems that don't need both.

>> And, at least for now, a practical argument against NSID is that it is
>> not supported  across all Root Letters.
>
>I don't agree, that's a practical argument to _get_ it supported
>across all Root letters.

My statement was unclear.  I meant, a practical argument against NSID
for catchment mapping is incomplete support.

>> (* Caveat: Let's just stipulate that NSID is attractive is because it is
>> the New Hotness, and clearly CH TXT is Old And Busted.  And least as
>> evidenced by the larger RFC number and absence of an
>> implementation-specific qname.)
>
>"New Hotness" as in 9+ years?  I understand a certain conservatism
>across root servers deployment, but at the same time the Root servers
>should be a "showcase" of DNS technology.  And it's 9+ years (August 2007)
>since NSID become RFC.

Sorry if not clear, the text in the caveat was partly a movie reference.

What I meant by that paragraph was: yes, I agree that NSID is The Right
Thing and in principle should be more widely supported.  I'm not opposed
to RSSAC taking that question on.

(Oh, and by the way, while we're talking about who should support it if
you want it to superseed CH TXT, one might want to appraoch RIPE Atlas
to start collecting it as a standard dataset.)

The overall point of my message was that I wanted to understand what the
technical advantage of NSID was. For the
subproblem where one's only goal is that a RIPE Atlas probe finds its
catchement, I don't see that it has any technical advantage over CH TXT.

But I think we both agree on its advantage when wants a query AND the
site.  And I think we both agree that NSID is a good thing and should be
more widely supported.

   -John