[rssac-caucus] Tweaks to RSSAC-002

Steve Sheng steve.sheng at icann.org
Fri Sep 2 00:23:28 UTC 2016

Thanks Shane for this feedback! I think this is something staff can implement.

    "Please look for the latest version of this document at this page:

    https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/rssac-publications-2014-05-12-en"

Best
Steve

On 8/31/16, 11:15 PM, "rssac-caucus-bounces at icann.org on behalf of Shane Kerr" <rssac-caucus-bounces at icann.org on behalf of shane at time-travellers.org> wrote:

    Wes,

    At 2016-08-31 07:04:37 -0700
    Wes Hardaker <hardaker at isi.edu> wrote:

    > > Where is the repository for RSSAC documents?
    >
    > ICANN documents as a whole can be challenging to find, to the
    > multiple-versions and archived nature combined with their web
    > infrastructure, which is a typical CMS engine as far as I can tell.  The
    > results are searches that don't always point to the most recent
    > document.
    >
    > Instead, I'd suggest searching for "RSSAC publications" which turns up
    > the much more useful and should always be up to date publication list
    > based on release dates:
    >
    > https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/rssac-publications-2014-05-12-en
    >
    > [Note: I have no role over the ICANN pages and the publication process]

    Thanks for the pointer!

    My guess is that other people would try a similar process to the one
    that I used and also end up in the wrong place.

    Educating everyone in the world seems really hard. Fixing the ICANN
    pages and publication process is probably easier, but I can easily
    imagine it taking many months if not years.

    What seems relatively easy would be to put some text at the top of the
    document saying:

    "Please look for the latest version of this document at this page:

    https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/rssac-publications-2014-05-12-en"

    It's not great, because a human (or program) still has to search
    through the list and find the most recent copy, but it at least gives a
    hint about how to do this.

    BTW, I love the URL which includes a random date in it, although I am a
    bit disappointed that it doesn't have "pages/pages" in the path. ;)

    Cheers,

    --
    Shane