[rssac-caucus] FOR REVIEW: Elements of Potential Root Operators

Alejandro Acosta alejandro at lacnic.net
Fri Sep 9 03:03:59 UTC 2016

El 9/8/2016 a las 5:13 PM, Wessels, Duane escribió:
>> On Sep 6, 2016, at 9:09 PM, Alejandro Acosta <alejandro at lacnic.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>   I just have a very small comment and I'm curious about something:
>>
>> 1)  In:
>>

>>   3.6.2 Sample “x.root-servers.org” Web Page
>> The candidate operator SHOULD demonstrate their ability to maintain a <LETTER>.root-servers.org web page by providing a mock-up in HTML.
>>

>>   I think it's a good idea to add one more sentence with something like: ".... "  "<LETTER>.root-servers.org or whatever other naming architecture appears.
>>
>>   My rationale is that in the future there is chance of root-servers.org to change, right?
> Yes
>

>> 2) Is it fair to ask the operator to keep up to date their software and be willing to adapt to new changes?.  I think it's not mention in the document (sorry if it's and I missed it).  For example something like this might happen: suppose the operator have an OS that does not support IDN?, or firewalls that refuses EDNS or AAAAs?
> This sort of feels like two separate items to me.
>
> (1) you're suggesting that the operator needs to keep software up-to-date

Yes.., sort of that.

> (2) systems must support certain DNS features (IDN, EDNS, all query types).
>
> I feel like (2) is already covered well by the requirements of RFC7720.

Actually you are right.

> For (1) I don't know what else we can do in this document other than say the candidate operator must promise to keep their software up-to-date:
>
>   "Do you promise to keep your software up-to-date?"
>
>   "I sure do!"
>
>   "Okay, great!"
>
> Our existing section 3.4.6 on Openness and Participation is not much different than that, however.  If you'd like to propose some text for a new section then we can all consider adding it.

It can be something like this.., excuse me that English is not my native
language:
" The operator is expected to follow and adapt to new technology changes
that might arise in the future that could affect in a negative way the
DNS Service being offered. "

Thanks,

Alejandro,