[rssac-caucus] Monthly Update

Carlos Reyes carlos.reyes at icann.org
Fri Apr 7 15:31:17 UTC 2017

Hello, all.

This is the Caucus monthly update. As always, we welcome your feedback on the content and format of these updates.

Thank you,
Carlos

ADMINISTRATION

Minutes/Notes from RSSAC and Caucus Meetings

Minutes or notes from Caucus meetings are posted here. (This page is now current; apologies for the oversight.) As a reminder, minutes from RSSAC teleconferences are published here.

Upcoming Caucus Meetings

The next Caucus meeting will be held during ICANN60 | Annual General Meeting (28 October-3 November 2017) in Abu Dhabi, UAE. The exact date, time, and location will be confirmed as the meeting approaches.

Per the cadence of Caucus meetings at IETF meetings, the Caucus will not convene at IETF99 in Prague, Czech Republic. The next Caucus meeting at an IETF meeting will be held during IETF100 (12-17 November 2017) in Singapore. The exact date, time, and location will be confirmed as the meeting approaches.

WORK UPDATES

Proposed Work Items

On its 6 April teleconference, the RSSAC discussed recently proposed work items for the Caucus. The RSSAC encourages more discussion before statements of scope and work are drafted.

Root Server Naming Scheme Work Party | John Bond, Work Party Leader

The RSN document is almost complete however it was noted that we have drifted away from the initial statement of work.  In an effort to get

the document back on track, a small group from the work party met with some members from RSSAC to identify outstanding issues.  The meeting was successful and we have a few more edits to perform on the document and a few more experiments to conduct.  We have committed to producing a second draft of the document incorporating all updates by the beginning of May.

Anycast Placement Work Party | Kaveh Ranjbar, Work Party Leader

The work is aiming to answer or align understanding of a few questions that came out of the first two RSSAC workshops, the questions are formed around general theme of role of coordination between root server operators in terms of: Latency, DDOS, Physical placement of instances and Security. The work is on-going and so far we have a better understanding of the problem area and working towards documenting that. Next step would be converging on the answers and finalizing the results.

RSSAC Tools Work Party | Wes Hardaker, Work Party Leader

The RSSAC Tools work party was discussed at the RSSAC Caucus meeting at the Chicago IETF meeting.  Wes Hardaker is working on finalizing the structure of the code repositories based on the discussion at the meeting.