[rssac-caucus] aggressive NXDOMAIN in pDNS, and its effect on traffic to the root

Ray Bellis ray at isc.org
Mon Mar 27 03:29:01 UTC 2017

On 26/03/2017 22:19, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Can you be more specific about "collect information about"? I don't
> see how we can collect information about queries that are not being
> sent, but it is quite possible I'm not being creative enough.

The closest we have in existing RSSAC 002 stats is the table that gives
the query packet size distribution (see e.g.
<http://rssac-stats.isc.org/rssac002/2017/03/traffic-sizes/f-root-20170326-traffic-sizes.yaml>)

However these are binned in multiples of 16 octets, and also do not
allow you to differentiate the queries that arrive with the 11+ octets
that an EDNS OPT RR contains.

Ray