[rssac-caucus] Second round review on "Technical Analysis of the Naming Scheme Used For Individual Root Servers"

Terry Manderson terry at terrym.net
Thu May 4 18:24:15 UTC 2017

Hi Paul and Caucus,

A side bar discussion elsewhere came around to this document, and it highlighted something I hadn't considered.

I would like to suggest some changes:

Terminology

Node re-delegation attack – These attacks, which were described almost a decade ago, potentially allow an attacker to poison the cache of a recursive resolver much more quickly than the well-known “Kaminsky attack”. Node re-delegation attacks hypothetically affect the resolution of all zones in resolvers that do not validate, and all unsigned zones in validating resolvers. [1]

[1] https://www.sec-consult.com/fxdata/seccons/prod/downloads/whitepaper-dns-node-redelegation.pdf

** my rationale, 1. after reading the cited document I find it difficult to seperate it's method and the kaminsky attack. This is precisely why I would like to see the citation. 2. since this is the topic of one of the recommendations I feel the current wording (terminology) is a confirmation of the attack, even before ascertaining its validity.

So therefore I propose the recommendation text:

Further study is required to understand if the current infrastructure is susceptible to various cache poisoning attack-scenarios including the cited node re-delegation attack and, if so, what the effects of such attacks might be. Understanding these risks is necessary to assess the risk of changing the current root naming infrastructure. Any study conducted in this area should also be accompanied with proof-of-concept code so that it can be observed and further studied by the RSSAC Caucus and other researchers.

Cheers
Terry