[rssac-caucus] Second round review on "Technical Analysis of the Naming Scheme Used For Individual Root Servers"

Davey Song songlinjian at gmail.com
Fri May 5 08:17:09 UTC 2017

Hi Paul and the RSN Work Party,

I'm sorry that I did not follow the drafting process very closely untill
recently. After reviewing the latest version, I think it is well composed
and balanced. And I do leave some comments and minor edits in the Google
doc. I would like to put some points donw in this mail for discussion.  I
hope it will be helpful.

* Regarding the fragmentation, the concern can be relieved by optionally
excluding partially or all glues in the additional section at the cost of
increasing the round-trip delay. IMHO, the round-trip delay or additional
queries for priming or DNSSEC priming is not a big issue because priming
query is quite rare and only emitted when resolver bootstraps itself.

* In section 5.5 "Names Delegated to Each Operator", the additional section
of the priming response may not return all A and AAAA glue. It depends on
the DNS implementations. AFAIK, Bind9 only returns the A and AAAA glue of
responding root server. It is in that If the zones hosted  by root server A
is not authoritative for the name of root server B, the additional section
of priming response from A will not include the glue of B. It is exactly
the case in Yeti DNS Project where normal domain name is used as the name
of root server. I think it is also true for "a.root-servers" and the case
of  short label  "a".

* In addition, #5.5 makes it possible to incrementally deploy DNSSEC
support for individual root names. The DNSSEC deployment overhead is
durable I think if you intend to ask for multiple participants to run the
root system. In contrary, it introduces diversity to the system.

* If possbile, i would like to make a recommandation on : Study the impact
of additional queries after priming exchange. It is possible that by adding
addtional queries, it will make it easier to balance the priming
performance and response size limitation.

Again, thanks Paul and other contributors of this document. It's an
excellent piece of work.

Cheers,
Davey