[rssac-caucus] Meeting at IETF 100 open?

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at icann.org
Fri Nov 3 15:03:58 UTC 2017

On Nov 3, 2017, at 2:06 AM, Andrew Mcconachie <andrew.mcconachie at icann.org> wrote:

>> On Nov 3, 2017, at 00:29, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at icann.org> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings. It seems like the RSSAC Caucus meeting that ICANN 60 was open, and that non-Caucus members were able to come. Will that also be true for the meeting at IETF 100? If so, will there be any invitation sent, such as to the 100attendees at ietf.org list?
>
> Officially RSSAC Caucus meetings are for members only. However, having said that, I’m not going to stop someone from entering the room if they’re not a Caucus member. I don’t even know what all the Caucus members look like.
>
> We do pass around attendance sheets and all Caucus members should circle their name. If their name is not listed they should write it and their email on the sheet behind that. At ICANN 60 we did get a couple non-Caucus members in the room because it was an open meeting. These folks are then encouraged to apply for Caucus membership. Having their email addresses allows us to reach out to them about membership if we don’t get the chance during the meeting.
>
> This is a long way to basically say, “No, there will be no invitation sent to all IETF attendees". However, if the Caucus feels this is an important issue to discuss please bring it up during the agenda bashing beginning of the IETF 100 meeting.

The question arose because the ICANN 60 schedule explicitly says "The agenda is posted below, and the meeting is open to observers" and there is no "[C]" by the meeting. It would see that inviting observers at the IETF meetings could have the same effect for membership outreach.

So, yes, please put this topic on the agenda. I think it would be good to be consistent between meetings.

--Paul Hoffman