[rssac-caucus] Call for caucus input on the RSSAC Response to the KSK rollover plan

Wes Hardaker hardaker at isi.edu
Thu Jun 28 14:54:52 UTC 2018

The link to the google document below is a “work in progress” to respond to
the ICANN Board’s request:

Whereas, the Board often requests advice from the Root Server System
Advisory Committee (RSSAC) on matters that relate to the stability of the
root zone, and often requests advice from the Security and Stability
Advisory Committee (SSAC) on matters that relate to the security and
stability of the Domain Name System (DNS) and often requests advice from
the Root Zone Evolution Review Committee (RZERC) on architectural changes
to the content of the DNS root zone

Resolved (2018.05.13.09), that the Board requests RSSAC, SSAC and RZERC to
provide the Board advices on “Updated Plan for Continuing the Root KSK
Rollover” and associated plan documents, and report back to the Board by 10
August 2018 if possible.

To this end, RSSAC has drafted the following response. We hope that the
RSSAC Caucus can review and contribute this document to strengthen it
further as necessary. We will be holding a discussion in the RSSAC meeting
in an hour at 10:30 Panama time (15:30 UTC, June 28) about this document,
and encourage anyone available to join the bridge and adobe connect room.
Please feel free to add comments to the google document to suggest edits,
comments, or missing information and conclusions.  We will not be creating
a separate mailing list for this discussion, so please use the main caucus
mailing list if an e-mail discussion is needed.

The timeline for responding to this is quite short, and there is not enough
time to establish a formal caucus work party, but we are still hoping
caucus members might be willing to contribute to this document. We must
have the document complete by the end of July in order to submit it with
enough time for the board to consider and act upon any information and
advice within.

Please note that the scope of our response is specifically limited to the
effects of the KSK rollover on the Root Server System. Other groups within
ICANN (SSAC and RZERC) will be responding to potentially wider
considerations.

Google document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15zAVMSb48I4dT-
zGeKIQEDn1494BAxrkOiZv7xpZzMY/edit?usp=sharing

Upcoming meeting slot information and participation links:
https://62.schedule.icann.org/meetings/707742

Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI
​