[RSSAC Caucus] Resolver testbed: status update

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at icann.org
Mon Apr 29 22:57:08 UTC 2019

Greetings again. The Resolver Work Party had another meeting this morning, and I thought I would reflect the status to the whole list.

For those of you not following along, the resolver testbed project lives at
    https://github.com/icann/resolver-testbed
The current status is that the testbed can run the first planned test, for some resolvers. The first test uses a custom root server running in the testbed, so the resolver needs to be able to use a custom root.hints file and a custom trust anchor for the root. This works fine for BIND and Unbound, but not yet for pdns-resolver and knot-resolver; those will hopefully work in the future.

The next steps is to add a way to tag resolver versions so that tests that can be run on particular resolvers can be run more easily, and then to run some more tests and generate some pcaps for people to analyze. That will happen in the coming two months.

Please let me know if you have questions about the testbed, and feel free to open issues and pull requests in the repo if you are working with it.

--Paul Hoffman