[RSSAC Caucus] Geolotation and BGP influence on the mirror site

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Tue Sep 17 09:50:27 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 03:23:00 UTC YAN Zhiwei wrote:
> ... For example, even a mirror site is deployed,
> the nearby resolution may reach other faraway node due to the decision of
> BGP (although yes, the geolocation is different from the network topology).
> Maybe the “local” mirror site can be deployed to attract more resolution
> traffic in the local network and the performance of overall DNS root
> service can still be improved (no matter of the deployed locations) from
> the global perspective, some metrics and measurements are still needed to
> optimize the deployment locations of the mirror sites. ...

zhiwei, the best current practice for anycast operations is RFC 4768. sections
4.3 and 4.4 are especially pointful. does your operational experience or
laboratory prototyping/testing reveal any gaps or outdated concepts?

my own observations of global cache miss traffic show me that the root zone is
not statistically important, and i predict that more good can be done at least
total cost of complexity by getting DNSSEC validation and QNAME minimization
deployed in more recursive servers ("full resolvers") than by adding more
nodes or more letters to the RSS, or by improving their local reachability.

--
Paul