[RSSAC Caucus] Threat Mitigation for the Root Server System

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Mon Sep 30 14:54:33 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I noticed this document today, published last month:

https://root-servers.org/publications/Threat_Mitigation_For_the_Root_Server_System.pdf <https://root-servers.org/publications/Threat_Mitigation_For_the_Root_Server_System.pdf>

Although I haven't gone through it in detail and could no doubt come up with some comments if I was asked to review it, this looks like a nice document. It'd be nice if it was citable and easier to find.

Is there a reason it wasn't published through the RSSAC process? Or is the audience of this document other root server operators, and its publication a (welcome!) exercise in transparency? The introduction contains the phrase "Root Ops community" but I find that slightly ambiguous.

I realise I'm crossing the streams a bit by asking here, but it seems like the right people will hear the question, and others here might be interested in the answer. Also if it's entirely obvious to everybody else here why this has happened the resulting public beating with clue bats will surely be therapeutic.

Joe