[RSSAC Caucus] FOR REVIEW: RSSAC Statement on IANA's Proposal for Future Root Zone KSK Rollovers

George Michaelson ggm at algebras.org
Thu Jan 9 22:32:37 UTC 2020

I read the revised document.  It has the merit of being short. I like short.

Some sentences are now compound, and the role of a comma in a compound
sentence can include implying LINKAGE. I do not see measurement, and
the establishment of root telemetry as irrevocably bound: They are two
things, not one thing. A minor nit.

To the key length. DNS is not a domain where secrecy of past signed
states matters so we do not seek PFS. I think we would be silly to
pre-emptively sign with longer (RSA?) keys in a belief future events
may create breakable state in QC. I think we should continue to
explore SHORTER key lengths by algorithm change, and reconsider this
in the light of QC when QC announces significant return. I think the
work on mitigation should be done but doesn't have to reflect in
signed state yet. Having managed transition to shorted keys in
different Alg, the re-roll into a longer key technology is then
possible and understood: its not being conducted blind.

I'd welcome CFRG input on long term DNSSEC responses to QC. "make RSA
more longerer" doesn't feel to me like the answer.

I could live with this document as-is btw.

-G