[RSSAC Caucus] Chinese Critical Infrastructure Event

Fred Baker fred at isc.org
Mon Jul 27 16:28:17 UTC 2020

I don't think you're wrong. I do think that the Chinese government wants its hands on a root server. I agree that having three root server operators affiliated with the US Government gives the appearance that the US Government operates one or more root servers; the fact is that it doesn't, and even if it did, they distribute the same IANA-originated data that everyone else does - they are indistinguishable from the others apart from their address. That is largely a matter of "legacy"; all of the root server operators agreed to do so before ICANN existed, and they were in effect "Friends of Jon". That is largely what the evolution work is about - making there be a process for adding or removing an RSO.

There is an issue, however, in giving any government - not just China, and not just the US - "ownership" of an RSO, which is that presumably every government (is that 200?) wants to operate one, and there is no reason to believe that a new operator is willing to operate by the same principles as the existing ones. We have found that at ISC; anyone that is willing to sign our MOU can deploy an F Root Server Instance (https://www.isc.org/f-root/) if there is a technical reason. We have been contacted many times. When we point out that F Root Servers deliver the IANA Root Zone unchanged, applicants have a way of disappearing. That leads me to believe that applicants frequently want to alter the content in some way. For the good of the Global Internet (see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2826), we would want to know that the proposed operator operated on the same principles as the existing operators.