[RSSAC Caucus] [Ext] TCP and TC (was Updating the RSSAC FAQ)

Petr Špaček petr.spacek at nic.cz
Tue May 5 07:04:11 UTC 2020

On 04. 05. 20 20:52, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On May 4, 2020, at 11:34 AM, Paul Vixie <paul at redbarn.org> wrote:
>> so, to the question i think fred meant to ask, TCP fallback is an expectation
>> we can have, and it's full-resolver behaviour that we can rely on, even if
>> some full resolvers don't support TCP fallback and rely on UDP fragmentation.
>
> In my mind, it is fine to say that RSSAC (or some other RSS-y body) expects resolvers to be able to do TCP fallback. That is, some or all of the RSS will act based on that expectation being fulfilled.

To me this is no-brainer. DNS clients need to follow the DNS protocol to be interoperable with DNS servers, RSS included.

To emphasise this I propose to extend the last FAQ paragraph to read like this:

   For full interoperability DNS-over-TCP is nowadays mandatory to implement. For additional information please refer to RFC 7766.

--
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC