[RSSAC Caucus] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Work Party [Rogue RSO]: Thoughts on a definition of "Rogue Operator"

Renard, Kenneth D CTR USARMY CCDC C5ISR (USA) kenneth.d.renard.ctr at mail.mil
Sun May 10 12:28:31 UTC 2020

I like this approach, and I think your list is comprehensive.  Comments here do not provide clarity, but maybe more questions for discussion.

For cases 1, 2  [7706-style or non-IANA configuration of a recursive]:
As an Internet user, am I misplacing trust in my recursive resolver (or DHCP response) ?  There is no agreement (that I know of) between a user and an ISP that defines the accuracy requirements for DNS service.  We know that deception (resolving non-existent domains to web advertisements) has been practiced by ISPs.  Again, we have a tough problem of discerning a mistake from an intentional act.

For the cases 3, 4, and 6:  [route hijack, on-path attacker, off-path attacker] :
Should we consider these improper, even if the response is correct?  That sure would be hard to detect.  With an incorrect response, I certainly feel this is improper.  For a correct response, I still feel it is improper, but more-so from the traffic tampering perspective.

For case 5:  [incorrect from an RSO]:
This definitely falls in to the 'improper' category, but is it intentional incorrectness?  Old data (beyond grace period) would fall in to this category.  Is there something that can discern a temporary mistake versus an intentional act?

Thanks, Duane!

Ken Renard
S&TCD Contractor – ICF
Sustaining Base Network Assurance Branch
C5ISR Center, Space and Terrestrial Communications Directorate
Office:  443-395-7809
kenneth.d.renard.ctr at mail.mil

On 5/5/20, 7:36 PM, "Wessels, Duane" <dwessels at verisign.com> wrote:

    All active links contained in this email were disabled.  Please verify the identity of the sender, and confirm the authenticity of all links contained within the message prior to copying and pasting the address to a Web browser.

    ----

    Thanks for starting the discussion Ken.

    I've been looking at this at doodling on paper and sort of come to the conclusion that we should not be focusing on the *types* of rogue/fake/bad operators, but rather on the various ways that a DNS client can get anything other than a correct response from an IANA recognized root server.  I apologize in advance if this takes us in the wrong direction, but it feels right to me so I figured I'd share it.

    Thinking about a DNS query from a recursive resolver (client) to a root server, a number of things can happen that prevents it from getting correct response from a real root server:

    1) The recursive resolver might be configured for RFC7706-style operation, which is to say that the query is answered locally, without leaving the recursive resolver itself or the local network.  I'm not saying this is bad/wrong, but we may want to describe the risks around it.

    2) Does the recursive resolver have non-IANA root NS RRset and associated addresses?  This is like your "non-sanctioned operator" case, and also like the Yeti DNS project.  In this case queries do not (always) reach real RSOs.  Probably two sub-cases here where one is opt-in/intentional and the other is not.

    3) Route hijacks. Even though a DNS query has a proper RSO destination IP address, it may be routed to another entity.  I would include here both BGP hijacks and static routes to serve RSO addresses locally, which is also covered in your non-sanctioned operator case.

    4) On-path attacker.  Although the query is on its way towards a proper RSO, an on-path device or attacker may interfere.  Think "great firewall" style.

    5) Incorrect or unexpected data served by an RSO.  The query was delivered to a proper RSO, but the response was incorrect somehow, either due to compromise, software bug, misconfiguration, or intentional interference.  We've seen an example of a software bug like this just recently.  A long time ago (probably 2008?) I remember there was a root server that was serving "localhost," I'm guessing because about that time it came as part of the default BIND configuration.

    6) Off-path attacker? Not sure this is in scope, but perhaps.

    Of all these different possibilities, I think the likelihood that a client gets bad data because of an RSO's intentional actions is quite low.  Nonetheless we could describe these various scenarios and the extent that mitigations are needed and effective.

    DW