[RSSAC Caucus] [Ext] Local Perspective Work Party - data publication

Robert Story rstory at isi.edu
Wed Jul 7 13:29:58 UTC 2021

On Wed 2021-07-07 08:33:06-0400 Ken wrote:
> I'm thinking of this more at a higher layer: balancing user privacy
> versus the desire to collect data for analysis. What level of control
> should the user have on the decision to publish/not publish?  In
> option #3, publication of the data is almost an after-thought (active
> opt-in).  It requires the user to do something extra, which they might
> skip or forget once they see their results.  Option #2 means the user
> has to actively do something to NOT publish (active opt-out).

Why not choose the best (worst?) of both worlds? Don't have a default,
and require that either --opt-in or --opt-out be specified on the
command line or in a config file. Or default to opt-in, but prompt user
for confirmation if no config file or argument specifies a default.

--
Robert Story <http://www.isi.edu/~rstory>
USC Information Sciences Institute <http://www.isi.edu/>